The new facility (cost £105m) replaces the Tyrone County Hospital (in existence since 1899) and the Omagh Health Centre.
The new complex offers a full range of services on one site, including:
- urgent care and treatment (out of hours, and cardiac assessment);
- GP practices and women's, children's and family health units;
- physiotherapy, speech therapy, dietetics and occupational therapy;
- dental and podiatry services;
- hospital and community pharmacies;
- mental health services;
- theatres for day procedures, and endoscopy;
- radiology service;
- renal care;
- outpatients cardio and respiratory investigations; and
The contract was preceded by several phases of works to make the site ready - including drainage, power and water infrastructure upgrades and the construction of new roads.
The building includes two and three storey pavilions connected by a 'hospital street' enclosing a series of courtyard gardens. This design approach introduces natural daylight and an outside view to almost all the rooms in the building.
The two storey atrium inside the entrance provides an enjoyable public space, with differing heights, functions and views, with large glazed lanterns.
Internal courtyards provide external seating areas adjacent to the 'hospital street' and cafe.
The wards are on the first floor, providing single bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms, the majority of which have access to a balcony overlooking the Camowen River and surrounding countryside.
Patient rooms are grouped together to offer maximum supervision from staff bases.
The hospital and GP staff and patients are delighted with the facilities in the new hospital.