Finance Minister Arlene Foster said there is much that Northern Ireland and Wales can work on together to benefit both regions.
The Minister was speaking following a bilateral meeting with the Welsh Finance Minister, Jane Hutt AM in Cardiff, today.
Welcoming the opportunity to engage with her Welsh counterpart, Arlene Foster said: “I have had a very worthwhile and productive meeting with Minister Hutt, during which we discussed a range of issues of mutual interest to our devolved administrations and considered opportunities for working together that will ultimately benefit the people of Northern Ireland and Wales.
“In particular, we had a useful discussion around the forthcoming Spending Review where I believe there is much merit in the devolved administrations collaborating and collectively presenting our agreed views on key issues to HM Treasury. We have common concerns across a range of areas such as the impact of further changes to welfare support, economic growth and capital investment. ”
Arlene Foster continued: “There is much we can learn from Wales and how they have overcome many challenges. I believe that we in Northern Ireland too can offer Wales some useful insights and learning experiences.”
Welsh Finance Minister Jane Hutt said: “I’d like to thank Arlene Foster for the constructive meeting we had today. We share similar concerns on a number of key issues which will impact on the whole of the UK, and I’m certain that both devolved administrations have much to learn from each other. I look forward to continuing to build on our strong relationship with Northern Ireland.”
Arlene Foster concluded: “I am committed to continued engagement with my counterparts in Wales, Scotland and Westminster to ensure we deliver the best possible outcomes for the people of Northern Ireland.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance and Personnel Communications Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or Tel: 028 90816895. Out of Office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Public spending outlook remains difficult - Murphy 03 March 2021
- Finance Minister meets Financial Services Union 02 March 2021
- 2021 Census launches today 01 March 2021
- Murphy expresses concerns over Levelling Up Fund 26 February 2021