Land & Property Services (LPS) is reminding landlords that their rate bill must be paid in full by Wednesday 30 September 2020 in order to secure this allowance
If you are responsible for paying the rates on one or more properties that you rent out, you may be entitled to 10% discount on your rate bill. This allowance can only be awarded to eligible landlords who pay their bill in full by 30 September. The discount does not apply to the rates due on landlords’ home addresses, second homes or personal holiday homes.
For rented properties where the tenant currently pays the rates, the landlord can enter into a formal agreement with LPS which will ensure they are eligible for this allowance in the future. For more information on terms and conditions and how to do this visit www.nidirect.gov.uk/rates-rental-properties
There are a range of ways to pay. Landlords can pay online at www.nidirect.gov.uk/rates or by contacting the LPS helpline on 0300 200 7801. For further details on payment methods go to www.nidirect.gov.uk/how-you-can-pay-your-rate-bill.
Landlords are advised to allow a minimum of five working days for any payment to reach LPS.
Notes to editors:
- For more detailed information about landlord status and different types of landlord accounts visit: www.nidirect.gov.uk/rates-rental-properties(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- LPS is willing to assist any landlord in financial difficulty by agreeing mutually acceptable payment arrangements that could allow a discount to be awarded for current year rates. Landlords having difficulty paying their rate bill should contact LPS by telephoning 0300 200 7801.
- The 10% landlords’ allowance is a form of compensation to recognise the commitment of landlords in assuming liability for rates in relation to their rental properties, and the work involved in collecting rates from tenant occupiers.
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com. Out of Office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110. Follow us on Twitter @dptFinance
- Spending Review doesn’t provide foundation for economic recovery – Murphy 25 November 2020
- Murphy announces £300 million support package 23 November 2020
- Murphy and Dodds welcome renewable energy contract delivering £31m in savings 19 November 2020
- Murphy extends support scheme for businesses 13 November 2020