Finance Minister, Conor Murphy has said today’s announcement by the Westminster government does not provide the support that citizens and businesses here need.
Commenting following the announcement, Minister Murphy said: “A limit on energy bills for households and businesses is welcome. However, this doesn’t go far enough given the huge increase in energy costs in the last year.
“70% of households who use home heating oil will find the news that they will get a mere £100 of support for their fuel bills this winter insufficient.
“It is disappointing there has been no update on when households here can expect to receive their £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme payment.”
Expressing frustration at the lack of detail for businesses, Minister Murphy added: “Today’s announcement provides no clarity for businesses. The promise of equivalent support without the underpinning detail does nothing to reassure businesses.
“Most businesses are anxious about how they will make it through the winter. Businesses need certainty now to enable them to plan and to provide reassurance to their employees.”
Minister Murphy concluded: “The continued absence of an Executive is continuing to negatively impact on citizens and businesses here receiving support at the same time as those in England, Scotland and Wales. This is a completely unacceptable position.”
Notes to editors:
1. Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com
2. Follow us on Twitter - @dptfinance
3. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Appointment of Non-Executive Board Members to Department of Finance 27 September 2023
- Landlord allowance date approaching 12 September 2023
- Online awareness events to be held on energy efficiency and related areas of Building Regulations consultation 17 August 2023
- Views sought on proposed changes to the NICS recruitment policy on advertising 07 August 2023