The Department of Finance has today launched a consultation proposing increased energy efficiency standards for new buildings. Finance Minister Conor Murphy took the opportunity to visit a ‘passive’ house in Crawfordsburn to see first-hand how energy efficient measures can help improve energy performance.
Launching the consultation Minister Murphy said: “Improving the energy performance of buildings is vital in tackling climate change.
“The new standards my Department is proposing are designed to ensure new buildings are greener, with lower emissions helping to protect the environment. Better energy efficiency measures will also help minimise energy bills for hard working families and businesses.
“I would encourage everyone to have their say on this important consultation before it closes on 19 December.”
The Department’s proposals are the first step in an ambitious programme of improvements over the coming years, which will include further uplifts to energy efficiency requirements, as well as steps to address standards on ventilation and overheating.
The consultation will run until 19 December 2021 and further details can be found at www.finance-ni.gov.uk/consultations.
Notes to editors:
- Photo caption: L – R Director of Royal Society of Ulster Architects Ciaran Fox, Finance Minister Conor Murphy and homeowner Helen McGlinchey at the launch of the Department of Finance’s energy efficiency consultation.
- The consultation can be found here: https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/consultations/consultation-proposals-amendment-technical-booklet-guidance-part-f-conservation-fuel-and-power
- All media enquiries to the Department of Finance Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- Murphy encourages Open Data grant applications 07 December 2021
- Reval2023 will inform future rates bills – Murphy 01 December 2021
- Multi-year Budget provides opportunity for long-term thinking – Murphy 23 November 2021
- NI Cyber Security Centre launches Cyber Champions Programme 22 November 2021