Finance Minister, Conor Murphy has welcomed the introduction of regulations that enable civil partnerships to be converted to marriages.
The General Register Office within the Department of Finance is responsible for the administration of marriage and civil partnership law.
Welcoming the regulations which will come into effect from 7 December, Minister Murphy said: “This is a huge step forward for marriage equality and I want to pay tribute to all those who campaigned so hard for this day.
“There are over 1,300 same sex Civil Partnerships. From December these couples will have the right to convert their Civil Partnership to a Marriage.
“This important legislation provides citizens with equal rights.”
Notes to editors:
1. Further information is available on the nidirect website: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/convert-civil-partnership-marriage-and-marriage-civil-partnership
2. The regulations https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1143/contents/made which will come into effect from 7 December 2020 will also enable marriages to be converted to civil partnerships.
- Murphy restructures Procurement Board 01 December 2020
- Localised Restrictions Support Scheme extended to businesses now under restrictions 27 November 2020
- Spending Review doesn’t provide foundation for economic recovery – Murphy 25 November 2020
- Murphy announces £300 million support package 23 November 2020