The number of pensioners and households receiving assistance with their rates has increased in the past year with nearly £10million awarded in rates assistance.
Almost 30,000 pensioners have benefitted from a 20% reduction in their rates through the Lone Pensioner Allowance while 11,300 properties have been awarded a 25% reduction in their rates through the Disabled Persons Allowance.
Welcoming the increase, Department of Finance Permanent Secretary Sue Gray said: “It is really encouraging that the numbers receiving these rates relief have increased and demonstrates the great work being done by Land & Property Services Outreach Team in helping to get the message out there.
“The Lone Pensioner Allowance is of significant benefit to our older and more vulnerable citizens and continues to be of great assistance to those who live on their own. The Disabled Persons Allowance enables ratepayers who have adapted their property to meet the needs of a disabled person to benefit from a rates reduction.”
The Land & Property Services Outreach Team attend a number of events during the year to promote help available. Information about the other rates support entitlements that are available can be found at www.nidirect.gov.uk/rates
Notes to editors:
1. Between March 2018 and March 2019 there has been a 5.8% increase in the number of ratepayers in receipt of active Lone Pensioner Allowance Awards and a 2.5% increase in the number of properties in receipt of active Disabled Persons Allowance Awards.
2. A full breakdown of Lone Pensioner Allowance and Disable Personal Allowance Awards by council areas is available at https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/topics/statistics-and-research/lone-pensioner-allowance-and-disabled-persons-allowance-statistics
3. All media queries to Department of Finance Press Office on 028 9081 6724or 028 9081 6895 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Reappointment of Utility Regulator Board members 23 October 2020
- Murphy welcomes Civil Partnership conversions 22 October 2020
- Murphy welcomes changes to Job Support Scheme 22 October 2020
- Murphy responds to Treasury Spending Review announcement 21 October 2020