Finance Minister Máirtín Ó Muilleoir, today called on the Treasury to release funds to boost the local economy including capital investment in our infrastructure.
The Minister was speaking after a meeting with Quarry Products Association, which took place at the Craigantlet Quarry, as he continues exploring ways in which the Executive could create a local stimulus package.
The Minister said:“Today I met the Quarry Products Association and heard firsthand from industry representatives about the issues they are facing. Amongst these, is the need for certainty in investment for infrastructure.
“The Executive’s allocation of capital funding, for key infrastructure projects identified in the Fresh Start Agreement will go some way towards providing this however in the wake of the EU referendum, it is incumbent on the British government to release the necessary funds to stimulate the economy, boost the construction sector, and support local employment.
“I spoke to the Chancellor recently and urged him to bring forward measures to address the difficulties caused by the referendum result."
Notes to editors:
- Sign up to receive the weekly Minister’s News, featuring latest updates from Máirtín Ó Muilleoir, Finance Minister.
- Follow the Department of Finance on Twitter @dptFinance and like the Facebook page.
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or Tel: 028 9081 6895. Out of Office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Enhanced tendering system will benefit thousands of suppliers 25 September 2020
- Murphy responds to Winter Economic Statement 24 September 2020
- Murphy allocates £165m for culture, businesses and capital projects 24 September 2020
- Finance Ministers express real concerns over UK Internal Market Bill 17 September 2020