Finance Minister Máirtín Ó Muilleoir has said he is doing everything in his power to ensure the timely release of vital EU INTERREG funds as a key date for bids to be considered looms.
The Chancellor recently announced that the treasury will only guarantee funding for those projects that are signed off before his Autumn statement.
The Minister was speaking as he visited the East Border Region (EBR) group, representing councils on both sides of the border, in Newry today to discuss the impact of the EU Referendum on EU funding programmes.
Representatives of the group outlined their concerns to the Minister about the future of these projects should they not be able to access the funds.
The Minister said:
"EBR is a driving force in a number of projects submitted for EU funding. These are important projects that go right to the heart of communities. The projects aim to support research and innovation, protect the environment and develop sustainable transport.
“The councillors and representatives I met stressed to me their determination to ensure their bids for up to €37million to support transformative cross-border programmes are approved at the early September meetings of the INTERREG panel.
"While we have been left in a state of uncertainty by the British government, the one thing I am absolutely certain of is that no funds will be lost as a result of lack of will or action on my part or on the part of project partners."
Notes to editors:
- Sign up to receive the weekly Minister’s News, featuring latest updates from Máirtín Ó Muilleoir, Finance Minister.
- Follow the Department of Finance on Twitter @dptFinance and like the Facebook page.
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or Tel: 028 9081 6895. Out of Office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Murphy visits Cuilcagh Mountain 14 October 2021
- Finance Minister welcomes Peace Plus approval 14 October 2021
- Murphy presses Treasury for positive Spending Review outcome 14 October 2021
- Murphy launches consultation to improve energy efficiency in new buildings 12 October 2021