Finance Minister Máirtín Ó Muilleoir MLA has today visited Omagh for a number of engagements.
The Minister met representatives of the GAA and other amateur sports clubs at St Enda's GAC, Healy Park to discuss the issue of rate relief before visiting Gortrush Industrial Park in Omagh and discussions with local business representatives.
The Minister said: “Today’s meeting has provided me with an opportunity to speak to amateur sports organisations at grassroots level about the issues they face in regard to rates, including the forthcoming change that will increase rate relief from 80% to 100% for unlicensed Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs). Looking ahead I will also be asking my officials to examine wider changes that could be made to the treatment of amateur sports clubs, as part of the wider review of rating policy, to address anomalies that exist and ensure relief is better targeted.
“I also met with local representatives from Omagh Chamber of Commerce and had a very useful discussion with them about their experiences on matters which fall under my department’s remit such as the Small business Rate Relief Scheme (SBRRS) which has benefited over 2,000 businesses in the Fermanagh and Omagh council area this year alone.
“My Department recently concluded a consultation designed to review the targeting of the SBRRS and I am currently considering what options are available to target these measures more effectively. I noted the concerns of local businesses in light of the referendum and pledged to do my utmost to protect their interests.”
The Minister also met Land and Property Service (LPS) staff at Boaz House in Omagh.
Notes to editors:
1. Sign up to receive the weekly Minister’s News, featuring latest updates from Máirtín Ó Muilleoir, Finance Minister at.
2. Follow the Department of Finance on Twitter @dptFinance and like the Facebook page.
3. Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or Tel: 028 9081 6895. Out of Office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- £790m package announced by Minister Murphy includes £560m to bolster health service 29 October 2020
- Reappointment of Utility Regulator Board members 23 October 2020
- Murphy welcomes Civil Partnership conversions 22 October 2020
- Murphy welcomes changes to Job Support Scheme 22 October 2020