The Department of Finance (DoF) in conjunction with the Office of Public Works, Dublin today opened ‘Untitled landscape’ an exhibition of contemporary artworks in The Bridewell Centre, Magherafelt.
The previously unseen art pieces are from State collections and the exhibition provides an opportunity to show the art to the public. The exhibition includes 30 paintings chosen from the Northern Ireland Civil Service collection and the Office of Public Works in Dublin.
The Office of Public Works have selected the pieces to be displayed in Magherafelt. The curators were in attendance at the launch and were more than happy to explain how the artwork was chosen, catalogued and displayed for the exhibition.
Speaking at the opening, Sue Gray, Permanent Secretary in the Department of Finance said: “I was delighted to open this exhibition today in Magherafelt. This previously unseen artwork belongs to all of us and it is vital that we make art collections as accessible as possible. I would encourage everyone in the local area and beyond to take the opportunity to be among the first people ever to view these fabulous pieces.
“Art in all its forms enriches lives. My Department, in conjunction with the Office of Public Works, plan to show this collection to a range of places within the community; to schools, libraries, and other public spaces where people have an opportunity to view, appreciate and reflect on the work.”
Chair of Mid Ulster District Council, Councillor Sean McPeake, said: “Opening up access to the arts in all forms to greater numbers of people is a key element of Mid Ulster District Council’s own cultural programme and we’re pleased to be supporting an exhibition which is bringing work of this quality to Magherafelt.
“It’s a unique opportunity to see a collection of artwork, drawn from throughout the North and South of Ireland, which has never before been curated for public display and I have no doubt local people will enjoy the exhibition while it is here.”
The exhibition will run from Thursday 6th September to 28th October 2018 and is free to attend.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6895/028 90 816727 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 9037 8110. Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- Inclusive playpark opens ahead of summer holidays 25 June 2019
- Members sought for the Northern Ireland Building Regulations Advisory Committee 24 June 2019
- Department of Finance response to NIAO Report on nidirect Strategic Partner Project 14 June 2019
- Nearly £10million provided in rates assistance 12 June 2019