The Department of Finance has launched a consultation on amending Building Regulations and associated Technical Booklets in relation to external fire spread on buildings.
Following the Grenfell Tower tragedy and the lessons and findings coming out of the ongoing Public Inquiry, the consultation proposes setting a minimum performance standard for materials which can be used or attached to the external walls of certain types of buildings.
The amendments will provide certainty about the materials to be used in external wall systems for relevant buildings that are being newly constructed, altered, extended or created due to a material change of use.
The consultation seeks views on a range of issues including the types and heights of buildings to which the new standard should apply. The proposed amendments include more detailed definitions of key terms such as ‘external wall’, ‘specified attachment’ and ‘relevant building’.
The Department is also seeking views on amendments to guidance for external fire spread requirements for other buildings and new guidance on desktop studies.
The consultation includes a proposal to reference a more up to date publication containing radon maps showing the probability of radon concentrations in dwellings.
The consultation will run until 9 October 2020 and further details can be found at www.finance-ni.gov.uk/consultations.
Notes to editors:
- All media enquiries to the Department of Finance Press Office at email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- Murphy restructures Procurement Board 01 December 2020
- Localised Restrictions Support Scheme extended to businesses now under restrictions 27 November 2020
- Spending Review doesn’t provide foundation for economic recovery – Murphy 25 November 2020
- Murphy announces £300 million support package 23 November 2020