Around 19,000 households in South and East Belfast, Craigavon and West Fermanagh have received invitations to take part in the Census Rehearsal.
Census Rehearsal Day is Sunday 13 October 2019 and the Rehearsal is a small scale version of the full Census being planned for March 2021.
Dr David Marshall, Director of Census and Population Statistics, Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) said:
“The Census provides a comprehensive picture of our population to help shape public services. The Census Rehearsal, which is taking place over the next few weeks, is a key milestone in planning for the 2021 Census.
“The Rehearsal will allow us to fine-tune planning for the 2021 Census and make sure that everything works as efficiently as possible eighteen months from now.
“I encourage all those who have received an invitation to take part and complete their questionnaire. The more people who respond, the more information we will have to plan the 2021 Census.”
Most householders in rehearsal areas have received a letter with an internet access code to allow them to complete their questionnaire on the Census website. Other householders have received a paper questionnaire which they can complete and return in the pre-paid envelope provided.
Householders may complete their questionnaire in advance of Census Rehearsal Day. If a return is not made by then, householders may be visited by a member of Census field staff. Anyone who wishes to receive a paper questionnaire can obtain one by calling 0800 328 2021 - language support is also available for those who need it.
Notes to editors:
- In the United Kingdom a Census is usually run every 10 years to collect information on the size and structure of the population to help inform the delivery of services.
- In total, around 7,300 households in South and East Belfast, 7,200 households in Craigavon and 4,300 households in West Fermanagh have received invitations to participate in the Census Rehearsal. Census Rehearsal Day is Sunday 13 October but the public can fill their questionnaire in as soon as they receive their invitation to take part.
- Members of the public can get help through the Rehearsal website, by calling 0800 328 2021, using SMS via 86677 or on Twitter.
- All media queries to Department of Finance Press Office on 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Administrative Officer Recruitment Competition launched 09 December 2019
- Statement on funding allocation to Department of Health 05 December 2019
- Open Data Fund opens 14 November 2019
- One week left to have say on Business Rates Consultation 04 November 2019