The Department of Finance (DoF) has announced implementation of the 2022 Pay Award for Northern Ireland Civil Service non-industrial staff.
A formal offer was made to trade unions on 6 January 2023. The challenging financial position has prevented any improvement being made on the formal overall pay offer made to trade unions. Following negotiations, it has not been possible to reach agreement with the recognised civil service trade unions on the overall pay award.
No decision on the industrial pay award has yet been made as negotiations with industrial unions are continuing about the Department for Infrastructure’s Roads Productivity Bonus Scheme.
To ensure non-industrial staff receive their pay increase as soon as possible, the DoF Permanent Secretary has made the decision to proceed to implement the non-industrial pay offer. Non-industrial staff will receive their pay in June.
The 2022 Pay Award is affordable as required by the public sector guidance and will be funded from within existing departmental budgets. The non-industrial pay award will cost around £25m and includes:
- performance-related progression;
- bringing up the pay of the lowest paid staff (Administrative Assistant and analogous grades, including Industrial 1 staff) to the Living Wage Foundation rates of £10.90 an hour or £21,053 annually;
- all eligible other staff to receive a consolidated increase of £552, subject to the detail in the award.
Notes to editors:
- Pay Remit Approval Process and Guidance 2022/23 is available https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/dfp/fddof0822.PDF
- The 2022 pay offer would see those staff on the lowest grades receiving the highest percentage increase. For example, staff on the bottom of the scale at Administrative Assistant (AA) would receive a 10.10% increase, staff at the maximum EO2 pay-point will receive an increase of just over 2%, while those at the highest grades, for example Grade 3, would receive a 0.51% increase at the maximum pay-point.
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com.
- To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @dptfiannce
- Facebook – @dptfinance
- Instagram – @department_of_finance
- LinkedIn – Department of Finance
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Public Sector Pay Policy Guidance 2023-2024 published 31 May 2023
- Civil Service 2022 Pay Award to be implemented for industrial staff 23 May 2023
- Department of Finance statement on 2023/24 Northern Ireland Budget 27 April 2023
- Civil Service 2022 Pay Award to be implemented for non-industrial staff 06 April 2023