The Department of Finance is reminding same sex couples they have until 6 December 2023 to convert their relationship from a civil partnership to a marriage, should they wish to do so.
The General Register Office within the Department is responsible for the administration of marriage and civil partnership law in Northern Ireland. Legislation came into effect on 7 December 2020, enabling couples in a civil partnership or marriage registered here to convert a same sex civil partnership to a marriage or an opposite sex marriage into a civil partnership.
Couples wishing to convert their relationship should contact the local registration office in the district they wish the conversion to take place. There is no cost for the signing of the conversion declaration until 6 December 2023, after which conversions will not be able to take place.
Notes to editors:
- Further information is available on the nidirect website
- The regulations are available here
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- All media enquiries to the Department of Finance Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by Tel: 028 9081 6724.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Civil Service renews commitment to White Ribbon NI and retains Onus Gold Workplace Charter on domestic violence 05 December 2023
- Review of Defamation Law in Northern Ireland 13 November 2023
- Details published on emergency rate relief for businesses affected by recent flooding 10 November 2023
- Public encouraged to get involved in revenue raising consultations 09 November 2023