Finance Minister, Conor Murphy has commented following confirmation from the Chancellor that the British Government will deliver the £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme to citizens in the North.
Speaking following a meeting of the joint taskforce set up to deliver equivalent support to the Energy Bill Support Scheme here, Finance Minister Conor Murphy said: “Confirmation provided by the Chancellor today that the British Government will deliver the £400 Energy Bill Support Scheme is long overdue.
“Unfortunately today’s meeting has provided no guarantee on when citizens here will receive the equivalent support. While the British Government has committed to delivering support as quickly as possible they have failed to confirm whether households will receive their payment at the same time as those in England, Scotland and Wales. It is deeply regrettable that payments to citizens in the North may be delayed due to the absence of an Executive.
“I have made it clear that the Chancellor and the Secretary of State at the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy that any delay in issuing these payments to citizens here will be completely unacceptable.
“I have also stressed to the Chancellor that the £400 payment will not be sufficient to meet the challenges facing households this winter in the face of escalating energy costs and that this amount must be urgently reviewed.”
During the meeting with the Chancellor, Finance Minister Conor Murphy outlined the need for further intervention from Westminster to help address the cost of living crisis. Minister Murphy added: “The current cost of living is undoubtedly having a major impact across society, for our citizens, businesses and also for public services. I have made it clear to the Chancellor today that additional funding is urgently required and that the new Prime Minister must put in place a package of measures which will provide additional support to households, businesses and public services.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Landlord allowance date approaching 12 September 2023
- Online awareness events to be held on energy efficiency and related areas of Building Regulations consultation 17 August 2023
- Views sought on proposed changes to the NICS recruitment policy on advertising 07 August 2023
- Views sought on energy efficiency and related areas of the Building Regulations 27 July 2023