Finance minister Máirtín Ó Muilleoir is in Luxembourg to meet Jonathan Taylor, Vice-President of the European Investment Bank (EIB).
In the wake of the EU referendum vote the Minister is seeking assurances that the EIB will continue to invest in the local economy.
The Minister said: “The EIB is an important player in the local economy and has provided loans of £430 million over the past few years for key projects for higher education and social housing which Mr Taylor has already assured me will be honoured.
“But I am also encouraging the EIB to continue with its plans for further investment.
“The EIB has been instrumental in helping my Department set up a £100m Investment Fund and has been involved in advanced discussions on a potential new loans facility for our Councils. I hope to encourage the EIB to match our £100m fund and develop this £200m facility for Councils."
Notes to editors:
1. Sign up to receive the weekly Minister’s News, featuring latest updates from Máirtín Ó Muilleoir, Finance Minister.
2. Follow the Department of Finance on Twitter @dptFinance and like the Facebook page.
3. Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or Tel: 028 9081 6895. Out of Office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Enhanced tendering system will benefit thousands of suppliers 25 September 2020
- Murphy responds to Winter Economic Statement 24 September 2020
- Murphy allocates £165m for culture, businesses and capital projects 24 September 2020
- Finance Ministers express real concerns over UK Internal Market Bill 17 September 2020