The Department of Finance has published a document setting out the financial context for the upcoming revenue raising consultations directed by the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.
On 20 September, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Rt Hon Chris Heaton-Harris MP wrote to the Northern Ireland Civil Service departments, directing them to launch public consultations on measures to support budget sustainability and raise additional revenue.
Consultation documents will be shared with the Northern Ireland Office for approval in line with the Secretary of State’s letter. Departments will then begin to launch consultations on their specific revenue raising measures as soon as they are ready to ensure those who want to provide their views have adequate time to contribute to the individual consultations. Further information on the consultations being undertaken by individual departments can be found at www.finance-ni.gov.uk/articles/revenue-raising-ni-consultations
In addition to the financial context document, the Department of Finance is seeking views on four wider cross-cutting questions to complement the departmental specific consultations including:
- Are there other revenue raising measures that should be considered?
- Are there any services/ programmes that should be stopped or reduced to divert funding to more critical services?
- Are there public services that could be delivered in a different way?
- Are there public services that could be delivered by others (e.g., local government, voluntary & community sector, or private sector) or are there other areas in which greater collaboration could deliver better outcomes?
These questions are intended to gather views on other aspects of fiscal sustainability including efficiency, transformation or collaborative activities that could be considered alongside revenue raising options. For further information on these questions and how to respond visit www.finance-ni.gov.uk/consultations/financial-context-revenue-raising-consultations
Notes to editors:
- The Secretary of State’s direction of 20 September to departments to launch consultations can be viewed at Secretary of State writes to Northern Ireland Civil Service on sustainable public finances - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
Twitter - @dptfinance
Facebook - @dptfinance
Instagram - @department_of_finance
LinkedIn - Department of Finance
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Civil Service renews commitment to White Ribbon NI and retains Onus Gold Workplace Charter on domestic violence 05 December 2023
- Review of Defamation Law in Northern Ireland 13 November 2023
- Details published on emergency rate relief for businesses affected by recent flooding 10 November 2023
- Public encouraged to get involved in revenue raising consultations 09 November 2023