Finance Minister Conor Murphy, Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey and the Lord Mayor of Belfast, Daniel Baker have welcomed the first same-sex marriage, which will take place tomorrow.
Speaking at Belfast City Hall, Finance Minister Conor Murphy said: “Today is another huge milestone for equality when same-sex couples can for the first time get married. I congratulate all those who have campaigned for many years for this day to come particularly all those involved in the Love Equality campaign. It is vital that all citizens in our society are afforded their basic rights. I’m extremely proud my Department is at the heart of delivering this legislation and to hear that so far 28 couples have given notice to have a same-sex marriage.”
Communities Minister, Deirdre Hargey added: “I fully welcome this legislation allowing everyone regardless of their sexual orientation to celebrate their love through marriage and civil partnerships. This is truly a major step forward. In legally permitting same sex couples to express their love for each other in marriage, we show our inclusiveness and respect for diversity and that can only be a good thing.
“Equality in love is a basic right that has for too long not been afforded to LGBT people here and I want to celebrate this development, and show my support for a more inclusive society. One that recognises that we are all entitled to love and be loved.”
Lord Mayor of Belfast, Daniel Baker said: “This is a really important day for all those who have tirelessly campaigned for marriage equality over the years, and I’m delighted to be showing my support here today. As First Citizen of Belfast, it makes me very proud that we are now a city which recognises same-sex marriage and for the first time, same-sex couples will be able to enjoy the same rights as other couples. This is about building a Belfast for all, where everyone’s rights are respected and this is an important step on our journey to building an inclusive society, one where everyone is shown tolerance and respect.”
Notes to editors:
- The General Register Office is located within NISRA which is part of the Department of Finance and is responsible for the administration of marriage and civil partnership law.
- A marriage notice form can be downloaded at: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/publications/marriage-notice-form
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of Office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- Bug Safari launched at Stormont Estate 18 February 2020
- Murphy allocates additional funds for education, health and infrastructure 17 February 2020
- Call for urgent talks with new Chief Secretary to the Treasury 16 February 2020
- Special Advisers Appointments 14 February 2020