The Executive today agreed allocations of £123 million from COVID-19 funding.
Announcing the latest round of allocations, Minister Murphy said: “The Executive is providing over £47 million to enable schools and further education facilities to safely reopen. This will allow children and young people to return to education in a safe environment while at the same time enabling parents to return to work.
“Recognising the need to ensure young people are provided with the opportunity to gain skills and employment, the Executive is providing over £17 million for apprenticeships.
“£7 million is being provided for social enterprises, many of which employ vulnerable people, with a further £2.5 million towards safely reopening the voluntary and social enterprise sectors.
Concluding Conor Murphy said: “These allocations will help to maintain key public services, support economic recovery, and protect the vulnerable.”
A breakdown of the allocations is as follows:
- £35 million – schools reopening
- £27 million – NI Water to offset loss of income from commercial users
- £20 million – Translink
- £17.2 million – Apprenticeships
- £7 million – Social Enterprises
- £6.4 million – schools PPE
- £5.5 million – Further Education to provide safe learning environment
- £2.5 million – safely reopen the Voluntary & Social Enterprise sectors
- £1.4 million – cover statutory licence fees for the bus and taxi industry
- £1 million – free school meals
The Executive is currently considering its longer-term economic strategy and the needs of the health service which will inform further allocations.
Notes to editors:
- A full list of all COVID-19 funding allocations to date can be viewed on our website.
- For media queries contact the Department of Finance Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Finance Ministers express real concerns over UK Internal Market Bill 17 September 2020
- Murphy confirms £23 million for university places and schools PPE 11 September 2020
- Landlords rates discount deadline approaching 09 September 2020
- Views sought on amending Building Regulations 07 September 2020