Finance Minister Conor Murphy has welcomed that same sex couples can now convert their civil partnership to marriage.
Legislation comes into effect today enabling couples in a civil partnership or marriage registered here to convert a same sex civil partnership to a marriage or an opposite sex marriage into a civil partnership.
Minister Murphy said: “Today is an important milestone in the campaign for marriage equality. There are over 1,300 same sex civil partnerships here. 17 couples are expected to convert their civil partnerships to marriages today with a total of 32 planned for this week. As a gesture of support I have waived the conversion fee for those couples and for all couples who wish to convert their civil partnership to a marriage for a full year.
Minister Murphy added: “I would like to congratulate those couples who are converting their partnerships today and wish them a very happy life together.”
Notes to editors:
- Further information is available on the nidirect website: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/convert-civil-partnership-marriage-and-marriage-civil-partnership
- The regulations are available here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1143/contents/made
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- £23.7 million Omicron Hospitality Payments issued – Murphy 27 January 2022
- Omicron Hospitality Payment scheme extended 27 January 2022
- Murphy allocates over £150 million including over £40 million to support education 20 January 2022
- Omicron Hospitality Payment scheme underway 19 January 2022