Advance notice of forthcoming government construction projects will help local industry in planning to compete for public contracts.
This was the message from Finance Minister Arlene Foster MLA, following a meeting with representatives of the Institution of Civil Engineers to discuss current issues in construction and procurement, including skills levels in the industry.
The Minister said: “It is important that industry knows what projects government is planning to procure, so that firms can plan for and collaborate on bids. My Department has now mandated publishing details of these forthcoming contracts on the Investment Strategy for Northern Ireland Delivery Tracking System.
“Early visibility of government’s infrastructure projects will help local industry to prepare for procurement opportunities in advance of them coming to market.”
These developments come in the context of the latest NISRA figures showing that the total volume of construction output in Northern Ireland increased by 6.5% in the first quarter of 2015. This included a 9.6% rise in infrastructure output. Total construction output it is now 13.8% higher than last year.
Arlene Foster added: “While I very much recognise the continued challenges for the construction industry, there are positive signs in these latest figures which will help skills retention and development.”
The new procurement pipeline arrangements will be supported by an industry liaison group, chaired by the Department of Finance and Personnel’s Central Procurement Directorate (CPD).
The Investment Strategy for Northern Ireland Delivery Tracking System can be accessed on the ISNI website.
Notes to editors:
- Northern Ireland Construction Bulletins can be found on the NISRA website.
- Media enquiries only to DFP Communications Office on 028 9081 6895 or 028 9081 6725. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Landlords rates discount deadline approaching 08 September 2021
- Murphy extends protection for business tenants until March 2022 07 September 2021
- Operational Delivery Apprenticeship scheme launched 06 September 2021
- Murphy visits local businesses in Strabane 24 August 2021