The Department of Finance has announced implementation of the 2019 Pay Award for NICS staff which is effective from 1 August 2019.
The retrospective pay award provides a two percent increase on pay scales.
A formal offer which was agreed by the Executive and is in line with the 2019 Public Sector Pay Policy was made to recognised trades unions on 18 March 2020. Some Trades Unions’ ability to properly and fully consult their members has been hampered by the COVID-19 crisis.
Given the exceptional circumstances the Finance Minister has made the decision to proceed to implement the pay offer made.
In parallel there is a need to progress public sector reform. This will include more agile working practices, new approaches to recruitment and selection for jobs in the Civil Service, improvement to management of sickness absence in the NICS, with a particular focus on mental health, expansion of the NICS diversity and inclusion programme, and completion of the harmonisation of terms and conditions between industrial and non-industrial staff.
The 2019 Pay Award will cost £23.5m, including contractual progression up pay scales for eligible staff, and will be funded from within existing departmental budgets.
Notes to editors:
- The 2019 Public Sector Pay Policy can be viewed on our website.
- Further details on the 2019 Pay Award including pay scales can be viewed on our website.
- All media enquiries to the Department of Finance Press Office on 028 9081 6724. Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- Landlords rates discount deadline approaching 08 September 2021
- Murphy extends protection for business tenants until March 2022 07 September 2021
- Operational Delivery Apprenticeship scheme launched 06 September 2021
- Murphy visits local businesses in Strabane 24 August 2021