Finance Minister Máirtín Ó Muilleoir MLA, today met representatives from the Construction Employers’ Federation.
The Construction Employers’ Federation is a member of the Construction Industry Group (CIGNI), which represents all sections of the local construction industry.
Speaking after the meeting, which took place at Antrim Construction Company Ltd’s Lagmore Housing Development site, the Minister said:
“I was delighted to meet the Construction Employers Federation on this development site, as house building plays an important role in the local construction industry and makes a vital contribution to our local economy.
“It is vital that government continues to work in partnership with the construction industry and I want to build on the excellent work that has already been done in this regard. Today’s meeting was a great opportunity to hear firsthand from the industry about the particular challenges they are facing and how we can work productively together over the years ahead.
“Following the EU referendum I want to give my assurance to the industry that I will be working with my Executive colleagues and partners across these islands to act in their best interests. The Executive allocation of capital funding, for key infrastructure projects identified in the Fresh Start Agreement will give a degree of certainty and help companies plan ahead.”
John Armstrong Managing Director of the Construction Employers Federation said: “Given the vital contribution our industry makes to the local economy, it is important that we continue to pro-actively engage with the Executive and we were delighted to meet with the Finance Minister today.”
"Housing is a critical issue and we thought it important to showcase the work of home builders at the Lagmore development as well as discuss how we can grow levels of home ownership again.”
"In addition, today was a useful opportunity to discuss potential options for public procurement reform which we are keen to take forward with the Minister and the wider Executive. There are significant opportunities to develop reforms which can enhance sustainability in the industry and ensure delivery of the Executive's procurement pipeline. We look forward to developing these themes further."
Notes to editors:
- Photographs of the meeting are available on request.
- Sign up to receive the weekly Minister’s News, featuring latest updates from Máirtín Ó Muilleoir, Finance Minister.
- Follow the Department of Finance on Twitter @dptFinance and like the Facebook page.
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or Tel: 028 9081 6895. Out of Office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Reappointment of Utility Regulator Board members 23 October 2020
- Murphy welcomes Civil Partnership conversions 22 October 2020
- Murphy welcomes changes to Job Support Scheme 22 October 2020
- Murphy responds to Treasury Spending Review announcement 21 October 2020