The Department of Finance has opened a £30,000 Innovation and Outreach Fund to encourage the use of open data.
Awards of between £300 and up to £5,000 are available to fund the development of apps or other interactive visualisations that make innovative use of data on the Open Data NI portal. Organisations and individuals hosting engagement activities including hackathons, workshops, seminars or events that will raise awareness of open data will also be eligible to apply to the fund.
Encouraging people to apply, Sue Gray Permanent Secretary at the Department of Finance said: “Opening up public sector data has the potential to provide commercial opportunities and drive economic growth and innovation.
“This fund will encourage creative re-use of the growing number of public sector datasets available on the Open Data NI Portal and help us deliver on the ambitious targets set out in the Open Data Strategy.
“I look forward to seeing the exciting proposals which come forward.”
Welcoming the fund, Colm Burns, Chair of The Northern Ireland Open Government Network said: “This initiative is another positive step in creating a culture of data openness. The latest NI Open Data Strategy and the Open Data Fund will help open up government data and provide new opportunities for research, innovation and engagement.
“Open Data innovation and outreach will improve government, empower citizens and create opportunities to solve problems in original and creative ways.”
Further information about the Innovation and Outreach Fund can be found at https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/niopendatafund. Deadline to apply is Friday 7 February 2020.
Notes to editors:
Notes to editors:
- The NI Open Data Strategy was launched on 14 October and is available at https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/publications/open-data-strategy-northern-ireland-2020-2023
- Successful applications will be notified on 24 February. Funded activities and projects need to be completed by 30 June 2020.
- All media queries to Department of Finance Press Office on 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned.
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance.
- Enhanced tendering system will benefit thousands of suppliers 25 September 2020
- Murphy responds to Winter Economic Statement 24 September 2020
- Murphy allocates £165m for culture, businesses and capital projects 24 September 2020
- Finance Ministers express real concerns over UK Internal Market Bill 17 September 2020