Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland (OSNI) within the Department of Finance has recently installed a new mobile mapping system which will revolutionise the collection of mapping data.
Featuring a laser scanner and 360-degree camera this will enable OSNI to capture 3D mapping data for a range of applications including surveys for large road projects, town or city street modelling as well as making it much easier and safer to map areas such as roads, quarries and cliffs.
Speaking about the impact this new technology will make, Sue Gray Permanent Secretary at the Department of Finance said: “OSNI data is used in every aspect of public life helping to improve and underpin public services in Northern Ireland.
“OSNI is the first national mapping agency within the UK to invest in this state of the art kit, demonstrating our commitment to enabling emerging technologies to provide our customers with data on an unparalleled level.”
Mervyn Boyle, Mapping Charter Officer with OSNI added: “This new mobile system is a total game changer for the collection of survey data. It will provide engineers, surveyors and many other users of our data with a 3D view of the environment being mapped including everything from kerbs, road signage to street furniture.
“While the new technology is currently vehicle mounted it also has the ability to enable digital data captures from train or boat which means that engineers and surveyors can access full 3D imaging in areas which would normally be much harder to obtain data on.”
Notes to editors:
- All media queries to Department of Finance Press Office on 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110 and your call will be returned.
- Link to video: https://youtu.be/A6Shm7ctIlA
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance.
- £23.7 million Omicron Hospitality Payments issued – Murphy 27 January 2022
- Omicron Hospitality Payment scheme extended 27 January 2022
- Murphy allocates over £150 million including over £40 million to support education 20 January 2022
- Omicron Hospitality Payment scheme underway 19 January 2022