Finance Minister Conor Murphy has today announced plans for a number of new civil service regional hubs.
Commenting on the economic and environmental benefits, Finance Minister Conor Murphy said: “These regional hubs will transform how civil servants work – enabling them to be based closer to home, reducing travel time and lowering carbon emissions while importantly promoting regional economic balance.
“COVID-19 has seen an unprecedented shift in how the civil service works with many public services being delivered remotely. We now have an opportunity to build on these new ways of working.
“These hubs are an exciting development in how the civil service estate operates and present a huge opportunity to make a positive impact on local economies, the environment as well as the health and wellbeing of our staff.”
“We are working collaboratively with Councils to maximise the local regeneration impact and to establish the hubs as soon as possible. I ask all elected representatives to support us in this work.”
The first Connect2 hubs are expected to open in Ballykelly and Downpatrick in the spring. They will only become operational when appropriate in line with Health advice and Health Protection Regulations.
There are plans for additional hubs in Ballymena, Craigavon, Omagh, and the Antrim/Newtownabbey area next year. Projects in Derry, Enniskillen, Newry and the Bangor/Newtownards area are planned for 2023.
There will continue to be a significant civil service presence within Belfast city centre.
Notes to editors:
Notes to editors:
1. The regional hubs opening in spring will be based at Rathkeltair House, Downpatrick and within the DAERA site at Ballykelly. The Connect2 hub in Derry will be at Orchard house.
2. The timelines for different hubs are based on the estimated time required to identify and equip suitable buildings in each area.
3. A copy of the Minister’s Written Ministerial Statement to the Assembly can be viewed at: https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/publications/connect2-regional-hubs-written-ministerial-statement
4. Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com.
5. Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
6. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Public spending outlook remains difficult - Murphy 03 March 2021
- Finance Minister meets Financial Services Union 02 March 2021
- 2021 Census launches today 01 March 2021
- Murphy expresses concerns over Levelling Up Fund 26 February 2021