The Department of Finance has announced a review of Defamation Law in Northern Ireland and is asking those with an interest to share their views.
The Defamation Act (Northern Ireland) received Royal Assent in June 2022 and introduced a number of changes to the law here, including the removal of the presumption in favour of trial by jury in defamation cases. In line with the Act, the department is now reviewing the defamation law in Northern Ireland, including how the Act has been operating.
The department now wishes to engage with stakeholders, to gauge their views on how the Act has changed defamation law and practice in Northern Ireland and obtain their opinion on other aspects, including those raised during the debate on the Act in 2022.
Further details on the review, including how to have your say, can be found here.
The review will run from 13 November 2023 until 26 January 2024. Following this the department will formally report on its findings.
Notes to editors:
1. The Department of Finance (DoF) has policy responsibility for the law on defamation with day-to-day management of this area falling to Civil Law Reform Division within the Departmental Solicitor’s Office.
2. Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com.
3. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
Twitter - @dptfinance
Facebook - @dptfinance
Instagram - @department_of_finance
LinkedIn - Department of Finance
4. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Civil Service renews commitment to White Ribbon NI and retains Onus Gold Workplace Charter on domestic violence 05 December 2023
- 13 November 2023
- Details published on emergency rate relief for businesses affected by recent flooding 10 November 2023
- Public encouraged to get involved in revenue raising consultations 09 November 2023