Finance Minister, Conor Murphy today opened a new Changing Places facility enabling people with complex needs to access toilet facilities when visiting Stormont Estate.
Conor Murphy said: “This new facility will offer people with physical and learning disabilities more freedom when visiting Stormont Estate. The facility provides extra equipment and additional space to enable people with complex caring needs and their carers to use the resource comfortably. This is a very welcome step in helping to make our outdoor green spaces more accessible to everyone.”
“Last year I met Christine McClements, who has passionately campaigned for further Changing Places Toilets on behalf of her daughter Lilia and for so many others. I pay tribute to Christine for her commitment, dedication and drive.
The new Changing Places facility meets the very latest accessibility requirements and provides equipment including a height adjustable adult-sized changing bench and wash basin, ceiling hoist and a peninsular toilet with drop-down hand rails.
Equality campaigner Christine McClements visited the new facility and says it will be a welcome addition. “The installation of the Changing Places Toilet will mean so much for families like ours. I’m delighted the facility is now open in time for the summer months and we look forward to visiting the Estate regularly. As a the mother of a disabled child, I would like to see more Changing Places Toilets installed in both new and existing buildings going forward.”
Minister Murphy concluded: “My Department is bringing forward a provision for Changing Places Toilets in local building regulations. This will make it a requirement to put Changing Places facilities in new buildings of a certain type or size, or where relevant works are being undertaken at buildings. This work is well advanced and we plan to launch a consultation soon. This will help advance greater accessibility and ensure dignity and equality for all.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on email email@example.com
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Murphy announces business rates revaluation 16 June 2021
- Murphy presses Chancellor for multi-year budgeting 15 June 2021
- Murphy launches student placement scheme 14 June 2021
- Finance Minister visits local Armagh manufacturer 09 June 2021