Finance Minister Dr Caoimhe Archibald MLA has written to the Treasury requesting a meeting to discuss the significant financial pressures facing our public services.
Commenting after meeting the Prime Minister and speaking to colleagues from Irish Congress of Trade Unions the Finance Minister said: “I have pressed the Prime Minister on the need for reform on how we are funded. The financial package only provides a short-term solution to the pressing issues faced by departments. I have written to the Chief Secretary to the Treasury pressing for the urgent need to resolve the budget issues and our longer-term fiscal sustainability.”
Highlighting her commitment to public sector pay, Minister Archibald added: “Our public sector workers are at the heart of delivering services and we must make sure they receive the pay increases and award they deserve.
“I have spoken with the Irish Congress of Trade Unions and will be meeting with Civil Service trade unions this week. I am committed to ensuring we do everything in our power to enable negotiations to commence and conclude as quickly as possible.”
The Minister added: “I am honoured to have been appointed Finance Minister and I will work tirelessly for all our citizens. The responsibilities of this Department are very wide ranging. With greater demands on our public services than ever before the challenges and complexity of this brief are immense.
“The financial pressures need to be tackled head on and so recurring funding based on our appropriate level of need is essential. It is vital we address the systemic issues in relation to how we are funded if we are to properly invest in and reform our hospitals, schools and deliver the services the public deserve.”
Minister Archibald concluded: “The Department of Finance is key to the work of all other departments, and we will continue to assist them in effective and efficient delivery.
“I look forward to working with Ministerial colleagues in continuing to build collaborative relationships across the public, private and community sectors in the time ahead.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com.
- To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter - @dptfinance
- Facebook - @dptfinance
- Instagram - @department_of_finance
- LinkedIn - Department of Finance
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Pay offer recognises role of civil servants – Archibald 26 February 2024
- €800 million injection will be a catalyst for change – Archibald 20 February 2024
- Over £685 million for public sector pay – Archibald 15 February 2024
- Finance Minister responds to conditions on Executive Restoration Package Settlement 13 February 2024