The term of appointment for the Chair of the Utility Regulator, Dr Bill Emery, has been increased by 12 months to 30 June 2018.
There will be no increase in Dr Emery’s annual remuneration of £34,068.
Notes to editors:
- The Utility Regulator is the non-ministerial government department responsible for regulating the electricity and gas industries as well as water and sewerage services in Northern Ireland. It protects the interests of consumers with regard to both price and quality of service.
- Dr Bill Emery joined the Utility Regulator as its non-executive chairman on 1 July 2012. His first term of office was due to finish after five years on 30 June 2017 but the duration of this term has been increased by 12 months.
- Dr Emery is a civil engineer with a PhD in public health engineering who worked on major capital works and corporate planning before becoming a regulator in 1990. He was chief executive of the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR), the independent safety and economic regulator for Britain’s railways for six years, retiring in June 2011. Prior to working at ORR, he worked in senior positions in the Office of Water Services (Ofwat) for 15 years. As well as being chairman of the Utility Regulator, Bill is also currently non-executive chair of the Centre on Regulation in Europe (CERRE), a cross sectoral group of regulators, regulated enterprises and academics with the aim of helping improve regulation across Europe. He is also currently Chairman of the Single Electricity Market Committee. He also advises several British companies on regulation. Bill has been a magistrate on the Sheffield bench for over 30 years.
- This change has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland’s Code of Practice. The variation in his term of appointment is made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published. Mr Emery has declared that he has not engaged in any political activity in the last five years.
- All media queries to DoF Press Office on 028 90816724. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Office via pager number 076 9971 5440 and your call will be returned.
- Antiques Roadshow coming to Stormont Estate 29 July 2017 30 June 2017
- 28 June 2017
- Open Data Challenge - stimulating education and innovation 12 June 2017
- Rates discount deadline fast approaching 09 June 2017