The Department of Finance has launched a consultation on amending Building Regulations in relation to fire safety measures in a range of building types, predominantly residential buildings.
The consultation is seeking views on amending Part E (Fire safety) and supporting guidance in Technical Booklet E (Fire safety). This includes implementing a number of recommendations from the Phase 1 report to the Public Inquiry into the Grenfell Tower tragedy. These changes will improve life safety measures for residents and fire and rescue service personnel during a response.
The consultation is seeking feedback on the introduction of two new regulations. The first will require the provision of fire safety information at the completion of the construction stage and handover of the building prior to occupation. This information should assist those in carrying out their fire safety responsibilities in the post construction phase. The second regulation would require the installation of automatic fire suppression systems, such as sprinklers in certain types of residential buildings. Sprinklers can provide multiple benefits in terms of personal protection of individuals, limiting fire spread, protection for property and fittings and protecting means of escape.
The consultation also seeks views on extending the coverage of automatic fire detection and alarm in all new dwellings to include installation of a smoke alarm in all habitable rooms. Clarification is also proposed on the minimum fire detection and alarm system required when a dwelling is subject to extension and/or alteration work. There is also new guidance in relation to smoke ventilation in the common escape routes of buildings containing flats and a series of measures to assist the Fire and Rescue Service during any response to a fire.
The consultation runs until 25 September 2023. Further details can be found at on the Department of Finance webiste - Consulation Fire Safety Changes to Local Building Regulations.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter - @dptfinance
- Facebook - @dptfinance
- Instagram - @department_of_finance
- LinkedIn - Department of Finance
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Landlord allowance date approaching 12 September 2023
- Online awareness events to be held on energy efficiency and related areas of Building Regulations consultation 17 August 2023
- Views sought on proposed changes to the NICS recruitment policy on advertising 07 August 2023
- Views sought on energy efficiency and related areas of the Building Regulations 27 July 2023