Current Technical Booklets
Technical Booklets allow the department to set certain standards of performance and if the guidance in a Technical Booklet is followed there will be a presumption of compliance with the requirements of those building regulations covered by that guidance. However, this presumption of compliance can be overturned, so simply following the guidance does not guarantee compliance. For example, if a particular circumstance is not one of the more common building situations the design provisions given in the Technical Booklet may not be appropriate.
These booklets are specifically written for those who have a sound knowledge of modern building techniques, terminology and practices.
There is no obligation to follow the methods or comply with the standards set out in the Technical Booklets. You may adopt any form of construction you wish, however you will have to demonstrate to the satisfaction of district councils that the requirements of the building regulations have been met.
Technical Booklets can be viewed below. Archived versions of the Technical Booklets are also available to view.
- Amendments Booklet - 2022 (AMD 8) - June 2022
- Amendments Booklet - 2022 (AMD 7) - April 2022
- Technical Booklet B - Materials and workmanship July 2013
- Technical Booklet C - Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture October 2012
- Technical Booklet D - Structure October 2012
- Technical Booklet E - Fire safety October 2012
- Technical Booklet F1 - Conservation of fuel and power in dwellings – June 2022
- Technical Booklet F2 - Conservation of fuel and power in buildings other than dwellings – June 2022
- Technical booklet G - Resistance to the passage of sound October 2012
- Technical Booklet H - Stairs, ramps, guarding and protection from impact October 2012
- Technical Booklet J - Solid waste in building October 2012
- Technical Booklet K - Ventilation October 2012
- Technical Booklet L - Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems October 2012
- Technical Booklet M- Physical infrastructure for high-speed communications networks January 2017
- Technical Booklet N - Drainage October 2012
- Technical Booklet P - Sanitary appliances, unvented hotwater storage systems and reducing the risk of scalding October 2012
- Technical Booklet R - Access to and use of buildings October 2012
- Technical Booklet V - Glazing October 2012