Land & Property Services (LPS) has published further information on the rate relief available to business premises impacted by the recent flooding.
The rate relief measures will include 100% relief for non-domestic rates on flooded properties as well as support to help businesses temporarily relocate. Further information can be found on the nibusinessinfo website here .
Rates Relief for flooded premises
Businesses will receive 100% relief from non-domestic rates on flooded properties for the period between 1 November 2023 and 31 March 2024 if:
- The relevant district council has confirmed that the property was flooded; and
- The property was valued for non-domestic rates on the rating system on the date of the flooding incident; and
- Either, the business was trading from the flooded property and liable for non-domestic rates on the date of the flooding incident;
- Or the property was listed as vacant with LPS and the owner was liable for vacant rates on the date of the flooding incident.
Ratepayers do not have to make an application for the relief. The local Council will provide LPS with a list of flooded properties in their area and LPS will automatically apply the relief to the rate account. Ratepayers who have already paid their rates for the current year in full will receive a refund.
Public sector properties are excluded from the emergency rate relief.
Rate Relief on temporary business premises occupied by flooded businesses
100% rate relief will be available up to 31 March 2024 for alternative business premises temporarily occupied by businesses that had been operating from properties that were flooded. This relief is only available when the business relocates to a property that was recorded as vacant on the rating system on the date of the flooding incident.
This will be administered by LPS. Ratepayers can contact LPS on 0300 200 7801 or email email@example.com to request this relief.
Information events for businesses impacted by flooding
Staff from Land & Property Services will be attending information sessions in Newry, Downpatrick and Portadown organised by the local Councils to provide information to businesses on the rate relief measures. Further information on these events will be published by the Newry, Mourne and Down District Council and Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon District Council.
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter - @dptfinance
- Facebook - @dptfinance
- Instagram - @department_of_finance
- LinkedIn - Department of Finance
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Civil Service renews commitment to White Ribbon NI and retains Onus Gold Workplace Charter on domestic violence 05 December 2023
- Review of Defamation Law in Northern Ireland 13 November 2023
- 10 November 2023
- Public encouraged to get involved in revenue raising consultations 09 November 2023