Finance Minister Mervyn Storey MLA has congratulated his department’s Central Procurement Directorate (CPD) for reaching the final stage in prestigious national procurement awards.
CPD’s ‘Licence to Practise’ initiative for electrical workers has been shortlisted in the Innovation or Initiative of the Year category of the National Government Opportunities Excellence in Public Procurement Awards.
Licence to Practise seeks to improve health and safety, electrical installation standards and skills development in government construction projects in Northern Ireland, by ensuring only those electrical worker who are licensed to practise are deployed on government construction sites.
Mervyn Storey said: “These awards showcase the very best that public sector procurement has to offer, particularly as a means of delivering more efficient and effective public services. It is therefore fitting that my Department’s Central Procurement Directorate, which strives for the highest standards in government procurement and construction, should be recognised for their excellence in this area.
“The Licence to Practise initiative is the first of its kind in the UK and is a great example of Northern Ireland leading the way, using an innovative approach to ensure best practice on construction sites. It is also evidence of what can be achieved in a strong partnership between government and industry, and I believe it will deliver real benefits for our infrastructure projects.”
Notes to editors:
- The License to Practise initiative will be rolled out in Northern Ireland this month.
- The level of competition for this year’s awards was at its most competitive yet, with many high-profile organisations from across the UK submitting an entry. The winners will be announced on 8 March taking place on the evening of the Procurex North Live 2016. The Awards will be held at the Hilton Manchester Deansgate.
- Media enquiries only to DFP Communications Office on 028 9081 6724 or 028 9081 6725. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Murphy encourages business landlords and tenants to work together 17 January 2022
- Murphy announces energy costs support for families 13 January 2022
- Finance Ministers call for Covid funding flexibility 12 January 2022
- Finance Minister, Conor Murphy reflects on 2021 31 December 2021