The Department of Finance has launched a 14-week consultation on a range of rates reliefs and allowances.
The consultation follows a direction from the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Rt Hon Chris Heaton-Harris MP, directing Northern Ireland departments to launch public consultations on measures to support budget sustainability and raise additional revenue.
The Department is seeking views from those who may be directly affected and from the wider body of ratepayers. There are seven proposals for changes to rate reliefs: four are in the non-domestic sector, and three are in the domestic sector.
The non-domestic rating support schemes which are being consulted on currently benefit over 9,200 ratepayers and include:
- Non-domestic vacant property relief,
- Industrial derating,
- Freight transport relief,
- The exemption for student halls of residence.
Views are also being sought on the removal of three domestic rates allowances:
- The 4% early payment discount, which around 160,000 ratepayers take advantage of each year,
- the maximum capital value cap which applies to almost 8,000 properties valued at more than £400,000,
- 10% landlords’ allowance of rates on rented property which is paid in full by the 30th of September.
The consultation period runs until 13 February2024. To view the consultation documents and respond visit here.
In addition to the rating relief consultations, the Department of Finance is also seeking views on other aspects of fiscal sustainability including efficiency, prioritisation and transformation or collaborative activities that could be considered alongside revenue raising options.
To respond to the ‘Financial context for revenue raising consultations’ visit here.
Notes to editors:
- The Secretary of State’s direction of 20 September to departments to launch consultations can be viewed here.
- In October, the Department published a document setting out the financial context for the upcoming revenue raising consultation. Information on this can be found here.
- Information on other departmental consultations can be found here.
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com
- To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter - @dptfinance
- Facebook - @dptfinance
- Instagram - @department_of_finance
- LinkedIn - Department of Finance
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Civil Service renews commitment to White Ribbon NI and retains Onus Gold Workplace Charter on domestic violence 05 December 2023
- Review of Defamation Law in Northern Ireland 13 November 2023
- Details published on emergency rate relief for businesses affected by recent flooding 10 November 2023
- Public encouraged to get involved in revenue raising consultations 09 November 2023