Background to the review of public procurement (2002)
In 2001 the Minister for Finance and Personnel set in place a Procurement Review Implementation Team, in order to fulfil an objective in the Programme for Government to develop and implement proposals to improve public procurement.
Consequently a full Review of Public Procurement (2002) was published which presented the team's findings, conclusions and recommendations.
Key topics within the report
- background to the review
- desirability of formulating a new policy on procurement
- principles underpinning the new policy
- recommendations on the new institutional arrangements required
- recommendations on operational issues
- issues relevant to the integration of economic, social and environmental policy into procurement
- arguments for and against providing legislation