The Department of Finance (DoF) has announced implementation of the 2022 Pay Award for Northern Ireland Civil Service industrial staff.
Following negotiations, it has not been possible to reach agreement with the industrial trade unions on the revised offer made on the Department for Infrastructure Roads Productivity Bonus Scheme or the overall pay award.
To ensure industrial staff receive their pay increase as soon as possible, the DoF Permanent Secretary has made the decision to proceed to implement the industrial pay offer. Industrial staff will receive their pay in July.
The 2022 Pay Award is affordable as required by the public sector guidance and will be funded from within existing departmental budgets. The industrial pay award will cost around £1.6m and includes:
- Performance-related progression
- Bringing up the pay of the lowest paid staff (Administrative Assistant and analogous grades, including Industrial 1 staff) to the Living Wage Foundation rates of £10.90 an hour or £21,053 annually; The uplift to the new Living Wage has taken effect and been paid since 1 April 2023.
- All eligible other staff to receive a consolidated increase of £552, subject to the detail in the award.
Notes to editors:
1. A further offer on the Department for Infrastructure Roads Productivity Bonus Scheme was made to industrial trade unions on 30 March 2023 following a conciliation meeting with the Labour Relations Agency. Rejection of this further offer was notified to NICS on 3 May.
2. Pay Remit Approval Process and Guidance 2022/23 is available https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/dfp/fddof0822.PDF
3. The 2022 pay offer would see those staff on the lowest grades receiving the highest percentage increase. For example, staff on the bottom of the scale at Industrial 1 would receive a 10.10% increase to basic pay, staff at the maximum Industrial 3 pay-point will receive an increase of just over 2%.
4. Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter – @dptfinance
- Facebook – @dptfinance
- Instagram – @department_of_finance
- LinkedIn – Department of Finance
6. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Public Sector Pay Policy Guidance 2023-2024 published 31 May 2023
- Civil Service 2022 Pay Award to be implemented for industrial staff 23 May 2023
- Department of Finance statement on 2023/24 Northern Ireland Budget 27 April 2023
- Civil Service 2022 Pay Award to be implemented for non-industrial staff 06 April 2023