Finance Minister, Conor Murphy today announced the Executive’s commitment to increase its funding to the 2021-27 PEACE PLUS programme, bringing the total budget to approximately €1bn.
Welcoming the €1bn programme budget, the Finance Minister said: “Peace Plus will build on previous PEACE & INTERREG Programmes to promote peace and prosperity in Ireland. It will help mitigate the impact of Brexit and COVID, particularly on the most marginalised people and border communities.”
The European Commission and the Irish Government have jointly committed €206m to the PEACE PLUS Programme with the British Government providing at least €560m (£500m) to the Programme. With the Executive €150m (£134m) and Irish Government €52m providing additional match funding, this will now result in a total PEACE PLUS Programme budget of approximately €1bn.
Minister Murphy continued: “With funding now confirmed, the Special EU Programmes Body will shortly commence a public consultation. I would encourage everyone interested to respond to that consultation and have their say.”
Notes to editors:
- The Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB), a North/South Body set up under the Good Friday Agreement, has been tasked by the Department of Finance and the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform to develop the PEACE PLUS programme. Details of the PEACE PLUS Programme can be found at https://www.seupb.eu/PEACEPLUS.
- The SEUPB will undertake the PEACE PLUS public consultation. The launch date is to be confirmed. Applications are due to open later in 2021.
- The PEACE PLUS Programme, with a budget of approximately €1 billion, will fund projects in the following thematic areas Building Peaceful and Thriving Communities, Delivering Economic Regeneration and Transformation, Empowering and Investing in Young People, Healthy and Inclusive Communities, Supporting a Sustainable Future and Building and Embedding partnership and Collaboration.
- Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com.
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Public spending outlook remains difficult - Murphy 03 March 2021
- Finance Minister meets Financial Services Union 02 March 2021
- 2021 Census launches today 01 March 2021
- Murphy expresses concerns over Levelling Up Fund 26 February 2021