Finance Minister Conor Murphy is encouraging people to take part in Boardroom Apprentice.
The unique programme, which is supported by the Department of Finance, is looking for boardroom apprentices to take a seat at one of over 50 host boards.
The 12-month board learning and development programme, which is now in its fourth year, offers practical experience, knowledge and skills with the aim of creating a diverse group of suitably skilled applicants for future appointments, helping to ensure Public and Third Sector boards are more representative.
Minister Murphy said: “Boardroom Apprentice is an excellent programme which gives people an opportunity to get real boardroom experience.
“The Department of Finance was the first Department to take part in the programme and I’d like to thank our Boardroom Apprentice, May Cheung, for her contribution. We are looking forward to taking part again this year and I would encourage anyone with an interest in getting boardroom experience to apply before next week’s deadline.”
Department of Finance Boardroom Apprentice, May Cheung added: “Having been inspired by many wonderful individuals in my life who were making real improvements to the world, I realised joining a Board is where I could draw on my own life experiences and make a difference and Boardroom Apprentice gave me the tools to do it.
“For anyone who wants to be on a Board but is on the fence about applying, just do it. I hesitated too but realised that I had everything to gain and nothing to lose. Sometimes it takes bravery to take that first leap; the ever inspirational Eileen and the rest of the Team at Boardroom Apprentice are there to help with amazing support mechanisms in place.”
Eileen Mullan, Boardroom Apprentice founder, said: “Boardroom Apprentice is about unlocking the potential of people of all ages above 16, all backgrounds and all abilities to play their part. Giving your time and sharing your skills on a Board is an incredible way to support our Public and Third sectors. If you really want to serve, then this programme is about enabling you to do just that.”
Notes to editors:
- Picture caption, from left to right: Finance Minister Conor Murphy, DoF Boardroom Apprentice May Cheung and Permanent Secretary Sue Gray.
- Further information on the programme and how to apply is available here: www.strictlyboardroom.com/apprentice or on Twitter @BoardAppr. The closing date for applications is 11am on Monday 29 June.
- All media enquiries to the Department of Finance Press Office on 028 9081 6724. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @dptfinance
- Chancellor backs the rich – Murphy 23 September 2022
- Social value at heart of £158million of government tenders issued – Murphy 22 September 2022
- Call for targeted action on soaring energy bills 21 September 2022
- Energy package scant on detail – Murphy 21 September 2022