The Department of Finance (DoF) is encouraging everyone to have their say and contribute to the consultations in relation to revenue raising measures in Northern Ireland.
In September, the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland Rt Hon Chris Heaton-Harris MP directed NI departments to launch public consultations on measures to support budget sustainability and raise additional revenue.
Speaking at a stakeholder event held in Belfast today DoF Permanent Neil Gibson said: “The cost-of-living crisis, the deepening climate change impact, changing demographics as well as the long-term impact of the Covid-19 pandemic are all placing increased demand on our already stretched services. Falling rates of real pay across public sector workers is also placing severe strain on those who deliver our public services.
“Just like household and business budgets, departmental budgets have been severely impacted by sharply rising prices because of inflation. Sustained high inflation has fundamentally reshaped the price of what the public pound can buy. The public sector needs to think differently about how it works and consider new ways to respond to increasing demand, deliver public services and provide better outcomes.
“My department has launched two consultations, one seeking views on other aspects of fiscal sustainability that could be considered alongside revenue raising options and the other consulting on a range of domestic and non-domestic rates relief. Our job as civil servants is to provide the evidence for political decisions to be taken; and this should be done from the most informed position possible. I would encourage citizens and businesses to give us their views to help inform the government’s policy development.”
Notes to editors:
1. The Secretary of State’s direction of 20 September to departments to launch consultations can be viewed here .
2. Media enquiries should be addressed to the Department of Finance Press Office on Tel: 028 9081 6724 or email email@example.com
3. To keep up to date with news from the Department you can follow us on the following social media channels:
- Twitter - @dptfinance
- Facebook - @dptfinance
- Instagram - @department_of_finance
- LinkedIn - Department of Finance
4. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Civil Service renews commitment to White Ribbon NI and retains Onus Gold Workplace Charter on domestic violence 05 December 2023
- Review of Defamation Law in Northern Ireland 13 November 2023
- Details published on emergency rate relief for businesses affected by recent flooding 10 November 2023
- 09 November 2023