The compensation in lieu of notice (CILON) calculator will ask you for the amount of salary, allowances and bonus to which the individual would have been entitled to had they remained in service during the notice period and will calculate the loss of pension for the same period, giving a total of CILON to be paid through the payroll. National Insurance and tax should be deducted in the normal way.
The calculator you should use for a particular individual depends on which scheme they were an active member of on their last day of service - even if they would have moved to alpha during their notice period. For example, a protected member of the PCSPS(NI) who was due to move to alpha on 1 April 2022 as a result of the McCloud Remedy, left service on 1 March 2022 and was due CILON for three months' notice, would have their CILON calculated using the PCSPS(NI) CILON calculator, notwithstanding the fact that they would have transferred into alpha if they had actually worked their notice period.
If the notice period goes over the scheme year end (31 March) you should run the calculator separately for the two periods using the appropriate salary and contribution rate for each period.
- Compensation in lieu of notice (CILON) calculator for PCSPS members (classic, classic plus, premium or nuvos)
- Compensation in lieu of notice (CILON) calculator for alpha members
If you are having trouble using these calculators please read the information below.
What are the system or software requirements to use these tools?
- tools are required to be run on Windows versions of MS Excel 2007 (V14) and above
- although the tools originate from the internet, they are uploaded and hosted by the Civil Service Pensions websites and should be regarded as 'safe'
- the tools use Macros (VBA) for clearing cells and creating PDFs if required, therefore macros should be enabled to ensure full functionality
How do I open the tools?
- when a tool is first opened click the 'Enabling Editing' button
- if the password prompt opens, click 'Read only' to continue
- to ensure full functionality you must Enable Macros